The Anti-Bullying Team is based within the Safeguarding Improvement Unit, Children and Family Services, in Leicestershire County Council. The team has an Anti-Bullying Strategy Manager and a Development Officer.
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is defined as:
- Protecting children from maltreatment
- Preventing impairment of children's health or development
- Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with provision of safe and effective care
- Undertaking that role so as to enable those children to have optimum life chances and to enter adulthood successfully.
We understand that bullying is preventable. Bullying is something that can be challenged and overcome. Cultures of bullying can be changed and people's lives can be enriched. We are here to assist schools, young people and adults because we believe they can be empowered with new skills and approaches. People can become more comfortable with challenging bullying. Confidence can increase.
We are available to work with schools on issues involving bullying; however, we do not have a remit to become directly involved with individual cases.
Key Areas of our work are to:
- Provide guidance, support and training for schools
- Raise awareness in the community
- Pilot, share and promote initiatives and develop resources on specific aspects of bullying